Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Remembering Mama

Today in the Pacific Northwest we've reached 87 degrees F. Our shady back yard is nice to have on a day like this.
And today, with the familiar slant the sun takes this time of year, and with the magnolia tree ready to bloom, I am reminded of last May when my mother came to our home to spend her last days with those she loved.
My brothers and sisters, and the people from Hospice, helped us take care of her. The house was filled with people who loved Mama, and the activity and noise reminded me of my childhood and growing up in a home with six brothers and sisters.
One sister said, "I bet you'll be glad to get rid of us and have your house back."
I wasn't too sure about that, and I was right.
Tonight, as the sun sets in the west it reminds me of the evening times when we stayed close beside Mama to enjoy every moment with her.
Her death on June 23 was one of the saddest times in our lives.
The anniversary of a death at any time is difficult. The wonderful memories we have of Mama are what will help us keep on going.

No comments: