Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Building Momentum. Yee hah!

I'VE DONE IT! I've smashed through the 25,000 word barrier! I am halfway to NaNoWriMo Heaven!
I almost can't believe it, but there was my word count. My goal this evening was 25K and I made it and you all will probably never hear the end of it ... unless I don't write 50,000 words by the end of November and then I will go gently into that good night and keep my yap shut forevermore.
My story has changed dramatically. (Excerpt is below in previous post.) I was going to abandon the death of Lily for something else, but upon reflection - and a bowl of tapioca pudding - I believe I will still be able to use her tragic demise to make Nellie's life a conflicted, torturous mess. Oh, don't we love to put our characters through the wringer.
The Mister's knee is doing OK, but today we discovered that our property taxes were due on Nov. 17. We missed paying early and saving $80 - that would have paid most of the electric bill. And now we may have to pay a penalty! Maybe if I tell them my Mister had surgery and I'm doing NaNoWriMo? Surely "they" would understand. Oh, never mind. I'm sure they've heard every excuse in the book. Most of them much better than mine. I'll pay it tomorrow and ask if we owe the county more.
The picture above is one I took upon leaving work tonight. The sky was really glowing and the light rail train was just pulling into the station. I then went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and ran into a young man who/whom I used to discipline on the playground when he was a sixth-grader and I was in another life. (Not literally, but figuratively. We've all come through several "lives" haven't we, just like cats?) Looks like he grew up to be a good guy. That's cool to know.
Today was a busy work day. My flowers - cosmos - are the last of the season and worse for wear due to frost last night. I think when I make 30,000 words I'll buy myself flowers from the florist for my desk.
Here is a journal page, too. It's not quite finished, but is sort of a new tangent I'm off on: Doing an illustration of real things, people or scenes that touch, inspire or make me laugh. I'm going to save them in a special book I bought today.
I know, I know, I should finish one thing before starting another, but then I'd never get anything done, believe it or not - femminismo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on hitting 25k! That's really excellent. :) I bet it feels good, too, to know that you kept going when you could have just as easily - if not more so - stopped. It's good that you're going to get yourself a little reward for reaching 30k. Rewards are important and they can really boost you along. Congrats again!

Candace said...

Congrats!!! This is a real thrill for those of us who are -- gak -- just a tad behind. Oh okay, way way behind. I admit it.

But I am not giving up. Thanks to your tenacity and inspiration, I am fighting fit. That alligator in the blender will not get the best of me.

Jeanne, that photo of the flowers is so sweet. Thank you for posting that!
Your Pal,
Candace

Brenda said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I am really enjoying reading yours. Your writing is wonderful and I love all your photographs.