Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dangers To The Heart

I'M NOT talking about cholesterol here or being a couch potato.
It has lately occurred to me *again* of the dangers of love and caring.
Elizabeth Stone said, "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
And just when I've finally gotten used to my children out there in the world driving to and fro, flying to and fro, loving to and fro -- then *they* go and have children and I've got to get used to the fact that something bad could happen to the ones they love and how would a mother ever fix that?
It's not like a sore throat where medicine and soothing drinks and Popsicles will help. Not anything like a fever where a couple of aspirin and cool washcloths will suffice.
So the grandchildren get older and they've made it through all those stages where they just might be OK, and then they go and have children.
I will tell you something: Don't ever start thinking of bad things happening. If you want to take your mind off these things, imagine a baby straining its teeny tiny sweet kissable neck to lift its head and aim a mouth in the direction of food. Imagine itsy bitsy fingernails, about as big as the tip of a ballpoint pen, but perfect in every detail.
Cradle a little foot in your hand and think ahead 10 years. Better make plans to get up off the couch and improve your diet so you can keep up with him then - femminismo

4 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

This is my first visit and you moved me to tears...I am also a grandmother and the act of holding a small child's hand is courageous ... a heart to heart connection with the whole earth. I also have a blog at http://maryhelenfernandezstewart.blogspot.com. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Steve said...

If I'm not careful I could obsess on all the worries I have for my little one - he's only 2 but already I worry about how we will cope at school and university. I think he's got the best idea - just take each day as it comes.

Candace said...

Why don't they just hit us in the head on a daily basis and get it over with? No children or grandchildren here, no great grands but plenty for my brother and sister... and even this step removed is not enough, believe me.

You have the right idea. Just keep up... stay healthy... look to the future. And don't forget to take deep breaths.
X
Candace

Julie Fillo said...

I LOVE this post! So true!!!

Julie