Thursday, May 22, 2008

Elizabeth Cleghorn Stevenson Gaskell - novelist.

CRANFORD: I have been watching this series of shows on PBS and delighting in them. I am so sorry they are over. The characters, the screenplay of Elizabeth Gaskell's book, the actors and actresses - simply amazing!
The writer, Gaskell (right, in a miniature), was born September 29, 1810, and lived a little over 55 years. Her novels give us portraits of many levels of society, the rich and poor - and a lot of great English dialect now forgotten - and as such we receive the gift of a great glimpse of history. She may be best known for the biography of her friend Charlotte Bronte.
Another friend of hers was Charles Dickens. What friends to have ... but Gaskell was no slouch in the writing department. What perfect sentiments she could have her characters mouth.
Tonight I rewatched the third and last installment. Somewhere I read an interview with Dame Judi Dench and she said she was eager to work together again with Imelda Staunton. I hope they do too.
What perfect harmony they present, the two of them, in every little way they move and speak.
Now, if you'll pardon me, after stealing images from Wikipedia and PBS I'm off to watch the video from "behind the scenes" on the set of "Cranford" at PBS's Web site. Ta ta! - femminismo

No comments: