Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What a Way to Start the Day

IT WAS 4:30 a.m. and my eyes crossed as I gazed at the red numbers on the alarm clock. Fortunately I fell back asleep for a while until something woke me again. I opened my eyes and knew I must have gone blind while sleeping!! The room was totally dark! No glowing red numbers on the bedside table and none across the room on the dresser clock. Wait! There was a faint glow from the bathroom window.
It was then I realized the electricity had gone off. What a pain. The third time in two months. The Mister woke up and asked what was going on. Nothing, I said. The electricity's off. We discussed the last time we had seen the time on an alarm clock, I asked where his cell phone was and he said "Oh, it can't be too late. It's still really dark outside."
Well, since I wake up at 6:30 a.m. each day and he continues to stay in bed, since he's retired now, I didn't have the option of going back to sleep and waking up at 9 or 10. Then I heard a distinctive noise from somewhere at the other end of the house.
"(expletive deleted)! The Christmas tree fell over!" I exclaimed.
"No," the Mister said. (The tree above is the Grand fir the Mister bought for me.)
But it was - yes. With a small flashlight in hand we shuffled around the tree kicking aside ornaments in the dark. The door to the garage was close by and the Mister, in bare feet on concrete, went out to look for candles and matches as I shone the flashlight on him. (It was around 10 degrees outside this morning.)
"Oh, I knew it, I said. I should have taken all the decorations off last night. I saw it was wobbly and pitching forward. But I didn't listen to my intuition."
Then all we could do was laugh as we realized how poorly prepared we were for an emergency situation: candles and matches should have been closer by and we should have had a bigger flashlight.
I wondered which ornaments were broken but there was little we could do for the time being. We propped the tree up with a small stepladder, put a towel down to sop up the water and went back to bed - the only warm spot in the house. Laughing still, the Mister asked, "Do you think it was the dragonfly I bought you that tipped the whole thing over?"
This pin is a joke with us. Anyone who knows my husband would never take him for the type who orders things from those television jewelry shows. (It doesn't involve a mall and live salespeople so it worked for him.) I adore dragonflies and have lots of dragonfly jewelry - rings, earrings, pins - and so he wanted to order me one. It was very flash, very glittery, very large. Well, here it is, above. (Along with a "priceless" Beanie doggie that was sitting under the tree before the watery deluge.) The pin really needed someone larger to carry it off sufficiently, so I started decorating the tree with it each year. And it was on the side of the tree that pitched over. Hmm.
Anyway, this morning I took ornaments off the tree and perhaps Thursday, tomorrow night, will have a chance to redecorate it. And it was mostly replaceable objects that got broken. The one-of-a-kind items - including the dragonfly pin - seemed to make it through just fine - femminismo


Candace said...

Oh My Goodness! Well, I am certainly happy all's well that ends well and that nobody (you and Mister!) stepped on anything in a barefoot state.
10 degrees? whew...

And that pin is totally gorgeously magical looking. Beauty. Good taste, that Mister of yours.
I will be posting later tonight or early tomorrow. Hope to see you then!
A comforting hug to Old Tannenbaum.
Candace in Athens.

Nathalie Thompson said...

Your black out, tipping tree story is priceless! There is no shame in anchoring your tree to the wall-- my mom did it at least twice that I can remember. haha

our dragonfly brroch may not have been the last straw, but it's funny to consider. Glad to hear nothing priceless was broken-- you can continue to laugh about the tipping tree episode!

verification word: "authbor"-- a writer who stimulates yaaawwning (makes me yawn just thinking about it!)