Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Would You Remind Me, Please ...

PLEASE remind me that when I start whining and feeling sorry for myself it's MY OWN FAULT! That's where I was yesterday.
Today, because I bypassed going home and exposed myself to some fun at the First Wednesday Farmers Market, I met up with a lot of friends I hadn't seen in a while and met some new ones.
Marbella and Ramona, above, are part of Adelante Mujeres. Some of the group's many goals are increasing opportunities for family and community and advocating ecological awareness and action for a sustainable economy and healthy community. Immigrant women and families face challenges and Adelante Mujeres supports many of their ambitions by providing educational opportunities. I only wish I had been smart enough to get pictures of Bridget Cooke, executive director, and Gina Bell, market manager, two of the powerhouse women behind this group! Wasn't thinking - was talking.
Check out their Web site. And wouldn't it be fun to gather our forces and produce one work of art each (painting, sewing, pottery, jewelry - whatever it is, I know there's something you'd do that's just great!) and donate it for one of their fund-raisers? What think you, gang? Let me know. I was inspired by this idea and would love to help them.
I also scored some enchiladas to take home for dinner tonight. Excellent! They were offering these tasty treats at the market as samples, so you see where I got my menu planning. (Sorry about the blurry photo. Must have had the setting wrong.)
MORE of the sidewalks in Forest Grove have been newly redone and inset with numbers. There are also very artistic pedestrian crossings.
This is exciting news for those of us who are planning for the Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival on September 20. Downtown Forest Grove will be literally crawling with artists on hands and knees creating colorful works of art on each numbered square. Check out the link for more. (Yes, I know I could use a pedicure. There's that curly "tall" toe - just like my sister's.)
WELL, what else do I have to show you? Oh! This one thing. As I was leaving I drove past the labyrinth dedicated to Dr. Faith Gabelnick, president emerita of Pacific University. The grasses planted around the labyrinth have grown and are now at least 6 feet tall. The tops were flowing in the slight breeze of the coming evening and I had to stop and take a photo. The sign at the labyrinth says the metaphor of walking it is that of life's journey. Taking it a step at a time shuts out the distractions of the outside world and makes you concentrate on your inner thoughts. It is a very peaceful place and the tall grasses isolate the pathway so you can truly feel alone with your thoughts. That's where I'll leave you now; alone with your thoughts - femminismo

No comments: