Friday, January 23, 2009

Little Did I Know When I Went Looking ...

TONIGHT, running errands for myself and the Mister, I happened into a video store, Movie Madness, that is selling off its stock. Could it be because of Netflix? I expect we'll all soon be getting our movies in our mailbox, off the Internet or streaming through TV cables.
Movie theaters, with smooching in the back rows, and the smell of popcorn and huge images with lips 2 feet high may soon be a thing of the past. Woe, woe, woe, I say!
Well, where was I going with this thought anyway? Oh, I know! I was at the video store and a painting caught my eye. The owner is cleaning out everything and she brought out some paintings she had in storage. In storage! The one you see above is what caught my eye, and why not? Have you seen many things as gorgeous???!!!
Bernie Messmer is the artist's name. I talked with her for a while, but think I will be going back again. I want to find out more about this artist who was trying to find her way in the 60s, with the other hippies, and still has no plan for her life. She's just been going along, she said.
She has talent, I think, and I'm ashamed to tell you how much I paid for this gem, so I won't.
I adore the three buildings, the three women - one with a pot on her head, casting a long shadow on the roadway. The gate open, the swirl of blue clouds, the rainbowish arch of color in the sky. The turquoise windowsill and the bell tower. There's more to discover, I know.
I've been quiet for a while, busy with other stuff. Trying to do my part helping with the bathroom project. This mostly consists of rubbing the Mister's shoulders and neck with Sportscreme. It helps a bit.
I just painted a couple journal pages and I'm waiting for them to dry. The SoulJournal group has prompts I want to pursue, so I'll show the results of those as soon as I'm able. Hope things are going well for you - femminismo

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I can see why you wanted it, it is a great painting.

Candace said...

That is simply a wonderful work of art. Let us know what you find out about her... it makes me think of a lot of artwork also around the 30s, too, when folks were breaking away from "traditional" Eurocentric art and, as you say, finding their way.
Sportscreme _and_ a martini supplement work for me on these types of projects, femminismo. Good luck with all that and take care. Look for you later!
Your Correspondent in Athens

sallyt said...

Found your blog through Seth. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this painting! Hey, it reminds me of a Van Gogh. What a find. I'm with you - would like to know more about the artist. Hope to get back to mosey around on your blog some more.
Sallyt

angela recada said...

What a great find!